Latest updates: Jenny Harries says schools likely to reopen sooner in areas with dropping infection rates
- English schools may reopen regionally, medical chief suggests
- Covid-related care home deaths in England jump by 46%
- Two-thirds of residents at Lincolnshire care home die in Covid outbreak
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
More than 200,000 laptops and tablets have been delivered or dispatched by the government to help with remote learning since the start of this term, PA Media reports.
New figures from the Department for Education (DfE) suggest that 239,103 devices have been sent to councils, academy trusts, schools and colleges across England since 4 January, when the latest lockdown was announced.
Deaths in care homes in England have hit the highest level since mid-May, according to the latest official figures, which revealed a 46% jump in coronavirus-related deaths in the last week as the more transmissible variant of Covid-19 breaches care homes defences, my colleagues Robert Booth and Niamh McIntyre report.