Health secretary address parliament on response to pandemic; two-week ‘firebreak’ in Wales aimed at avoiding open-ended lockdown
- Global coronavirus updates – live
- Wales to go into national ‘firebreak’ lockdown
- Manchester tier 3 talks deadlocked as other areas face stricter rules
- Operation Moonshot: pilot of rapid tests under way in NHS hospitals
- A third more deaths occurring at home in England than pre-Covid
In the Commons Jeremy Hunt, the chair of the health committee, suggests that local leaders should be given responsibility for bringing down the R number locally. But, if they don’t, central government should “take back control”, he says.
Hancock says the government is working with local councils.
Hancock ended his statement by confirming what Boris Johnson said at his press conference on Friday about how rapid-result Covid tests were being distributed and piloted around the country in coming weeks, particularly in tier 3 areas.