Barrow-in-Furness, York, north-east Derbyshire, Erewash and Chesterfield move into tier 2 alongside London, Essex and Elmbridge; no decision yet on moving Greater Manchester and Lancashire into tier 3
- London to face tighter Covid restrictions from Friday night
- Italy poised to be removed from England’s travel corridor
- Doctors and health experts back Covid-19 ‘circuit breaker’
- Coronavirus – latest updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Italy is poised to be removed from England’s travel corridor in a fresh blow to holidaymakers, who will have to quarantine for a fortnight on their return from the country, my colleague Simon Murphy reports.
Hancock told MPs the government considered applying a borough-by-borough approach to London when deciding what alert levels should apply. But, because of the “integrated nature” of the city, it was decided to act on a London-wide basis.