Official total now at to 35,341; UK facing ‘severe recession the likes of which we haven’t seen’, says Rishi Sunak
- Excess deaths in UK reached almost 55,000 in early May, says ONS
- Children in England back to school before contact tracing app rolled out
- Home test kits run out as eligibility list is expanded
- Explained: how five-year-olds should be tested for coronavirus
- Global coronavirus updates – live
MSPs have voted to repeal controversial measures which gave the Scottish government and public bodies the right to take more than two months to answer freedom of information requests.
To the dismay of civil rights groups and opposition MSPs, the Scottish government pushed through emergency legislation in April which gave public bodies up to 60 working days to answer requests.
Confidence in government is critical right now but it depends on transparency. Restricting freedom of information was wrong and unnecessary, reflected by the fact that no other country in Europe has taken this step. The Greens are glad to have brought Scotland back in line with common standards of openness and transparency.
The Labour party has cancelled its conference this autumn, according to Sienna Rodgers from LabourList.
NEW: The NEC has agreed to cancel Labour conference 2020.