Chancellor Rishi Sunak reveals details of tapering furlough scheme; Nicola Sturgeon urges caution as Scottish lockdown eases; Wales tells residents to ‘stay local’ as new lockdown rules come in
- Half of people with coronavirus symptoms in England not isolating, says Sage
- Police close case of rail worker’s Covid-19 death after spitting incident
- The new lockdown rules: what you are allowed to do from Monday
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Q.The alert level remains at 4. It’s only at 3 that you can have gradual relaxation of restrictions, but we’re doing that at 4. Does that mean we’re no longer following the science?
Sunak says because we’re meeting the five tests, we can begin to carefully lift restrictions.
Q. How tough a period do the British people need to prepare themselves for, in terms of unemployment?
Sunak says despite this extraordinary intervention to protect as many jobs as possible, they can’t protect every job.