75th anniversary marked with pared-down events, ahead of Boris Johnson’s ‘roadmap’ to ease lockdown restrictions
- UK lockdown could be ‘unpoliceable’ this weekend, police warn
- Once again a battle-scarred Britain must find a new role in the world
- VE Day 75th anniversary – live updates
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Hello, I am updating the UK liveblog this morning. Please send any tips and stories to email@example.com or follow me on Twitter @NParveenG to send me a message. Thank you.
The editor-in-chief of The Lancet has said that the lockdown should remain in place until the beginning of June warning of a second wave of the pandemic.
Speaking to Nick Robinson on the Political Thinking podcast, Dr Richard Horton said: “Absolutely don’t do it too fast. In Wuhan they locked down for 10 weeks and a lot of the epidemiological modelling shows that you need to lock down for around about 10 weeks. That takes us to 1st June. We locked down on 23-24th March.