Multiple people, including a police officer, were wounded.
Multiple people were wounded in a shooting at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center on Chicago’s South Side on Monday, according to news and police reports.
A police officer was among those injured. It is not clear exactly how many others were injured or killed. The shooting reportedly began outside the hospital, but it appeared to continue later in Mercy Hospital. The hospital has since been secured.
The story is still developing. Here’s what we know, and don’t, so far.
What we know
- The shooting reportedly began at a parking lot at the Mercy Hospital campus, but the shooter moved into the hospital’s buildings at one point, according to local and national news outlets. Police responded to the shooting and exchanged gunfire with the suspect.
- Multiple people were wounded in the shooting, but it’s not yet clear how many.
- The suspect is a 32-year-old man, a Chicago police source told CNN.
- Chicago Police spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi tweeted, “A #ChicagoPolice officer has been shot in the active shooter incident at Mercy Hospital. He is in critical condition but receiving excellent care. Please send your prayers.” The officer was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, according to the Chicago Tribune.
- The hospital is now secure, although police are still evacuating some staff and patients, CBS Chicago and ABC 7 reported.
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson are reportedly monitoring the events.
- The US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives tweeted that its Chicago division “is responding to the active shooting incident at Mercy Hospital in Chicago and assisting our local and state partners.”
- There have been more than 310 mass shootings in the US so far in 2018, according to the Gun Violence Archive. The organization defines mass shootings as events in which four or more people, excluding the shooter, were shot but not necessarily killed in a similar time and place.
What we don’t know
- The identity of the shooter(s)
- The motive of the shooter(s)
- The number of people injured and killed
- The identities of the victims