- Derek Chauvin may also face ‘subsequent charges later’
- Trump says US is terminating relationship with WHO
- Biden ‘furious’ about Trump tweet
- White House tweet flagged for ‘glorifying violence’
- Black CNN reporter arrested on air at protests
- Get a fresh perspective on America – sign up to our First Thing newsletter
Derek Chauvin had his knee on George Floyd’s neck for nearly three minutes after Floyd was non-responsive, according to the criminal complaint against the former Minneapolis police officer.
“The defendant had his knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in total,” the complaint reads. “Two minutes and 53 seconds of this was after Mr. Floyd was non-responsive.”
A tearful California governor Gavin Newsom reflected in his biweekly press conference on the death of George Floyd and the protests across the county.
Newsom recounted the conversations he’s been having with his children around the events, explaining his daughter first encountered the video of Floyd’s killing on TikTok and has been deeply distraught about the incident since.