- Trump administration privately predicts major increase
- Supreme court livestreams arguments for first time in history
- US cases at 1,157,875 according to Johns Hopkins data
- McConnell could yet pay price for ‘tone deaf’ response
- Live global updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
- Get a fresh perspective on America – sign up to our First Thing newsletter
The Guardian’s Sam Levine reports:
Texas attorney general Ken Paxton said Friday that fear of contracting Covid-19 was an “emotional condition,” and was an insufficient reason to request a mail-in ballot in his state.
The White House has issued a statement pushing back against the New York Times report that an internal document suggests the country’s daily coronavirus death toll will nearly double by June 1.
“This is not a White House document nor has it been presented to the Coronavirus Task Force or gone through interagency vetting,” White House spokesperson Judd Deere said in the statement.