East Africa facing ‘triple menace’ of Covid-19, floods and locusts; Italy’s death toll reaches 32,486; Wuhan bans eating wild animals; global case total passes 5m
- Social distancing a week earlier ‘could have saved 36,000 US lives’
- Italy: lockdown has taken heavy toll on mental health
- ‘If I don’t have sex I’ll die of hunger’: Covid crisis of Rio’s trans sex workers
- ‘All psychoses of US history’: how America is victim-blaming Covid dead
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
Our US live blog is reporting that once again Donald Trump has carried out an official visit without wearing a face mask. The US president, who was touring a Ford factory in Michigan that has been adapted to making medical equipment, said that he did not require a mask all the time as he is tested frequently for coronavirus.
Data on coronavirus infections that was a key driver in Governor Brian Kemps’ aggressive push to reopen the US state of Georgia was flawed and may have distorted perceptions of progress against the virus, the Associated Press reports.
Georgia Department of Public Health spokeswoman Nancy Nydam said in a statement on Thursday that the department included antibody tests when calculating the total number of tests conducted since early April.