US government experts say virus ‘not manmade or genetically modified’; Germany and Spain ease lockdowns; outbreak increasing in Africa
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
- Life with a Beijing Covid-19 quarantine handler
- Trump claims evidence virus started in Chinese lab but offers no details
- UK coronavirus updates – live
- Australia coronavirus updates – live
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in Germany increased by 1,639 to 160,758 on Friday, according to data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases.
The daily update showed the death toll rose by 193 to 6,481.
Mikhail Mishustin, the Russian prime minister, who was tasked by Vladimir Putin with leading the response to the country’s coronavirus outbreak, has been diagnosed with Covid-19 and will self-isolate.
Mishustin, Russia’s most-high profile Covid-19 patient so far, disclosed the diagnosis during a televised video call with President Putin on Thursday evening. It was not immediately clear how severe Mishustin’s symptoms are, though one news agency reported that he had an elevated temperature of 39 degrees. Putin indicated during the call that Mishustin would be taken to hospital.