- Health expert says measures will be in place through summer
- US needs ‘breakthrough in testing’ to speed up reopening
- Coronavirus – latest US updates
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Donald Trump’s coronavirus response coordinator, Dr Deborah Birx, has cautioned that social distancing measures are likely to stay in place throughout the summer, as she sought to downplay the president’s dangerous suggestion that injected disinfectant and ultraviolet light could play a role in the medical treatment of Covid-19.