The Fate of the Furious box office on track to hit $534M globally on Sunday
Universal Pictures‘ The Fate of the Furious is opening in 63 territories with the U.S. and Canada this weekend and the fans are turning out in record numbers around the world. According to the studio, Friday’s international gross is $112.1 million for an early total of $194.8 million. This is Universal International’s highest-grossing Friday of all time. The international weekend estimate is $430.4 million. This will be the biggest international weekend by a large margin, beating the previous record holder, Universal’s Jurassic World, which tallied $316.7 million.
Combined with the North American estimated gross of $103.8 million, the worldwide total will be $534.2 million on Sunday. The film is on track to beat Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ worldwide opening of $529 million to make The Fate of the Furious the biggest global opening of all time.
As of Friday, the Fast & Furious series crossed $4 billion at the worldwide box office. Some stats from Universal:
– The Fate of the Furious is the clear No.1 film in all territories.
– It is the biggest opening day of all films, all time, in 16 territories: Argentina, China, Colombia, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Israel, Lebanon, Malaysia, Middle East, Pakistan, Peru, Portugal, South Africa, U.A.E. and Venezuela.
– It is Universal’s biggest opening day of all time in 22 territories, including Argentina, Colombia, Mexico, Germany and India.
– It is the biggest opening of the Fast & Furious franchise in 38 territories, including Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Korea and Mexico.
– China kicked off at midnight on Thursday and set a new record for midnight shows. The opening day box office of $65.6 million (451.6M RMB) has set the record for the biggest single day ever at the Chinese box office. The three-day weekend estimate is $192 million (1.322 RMB), making it the biggest three-day opening of all time in China.
– The Fate of the Furious has already passed the international lifetime totals of The Fast and the Furious ($62.9 million); 2 Fast 2 Furious ($109 million); The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift ($96 million). It will pass Fast & Furious ($197.7 million) today and Furious Five ($401.3) million on Sunday.
There are five more territories to open: Philippines today; Serbia & Montenegro April 20; Poland April 21; Romania April 21 and Japan April 28.
Universal crossed $1 billion in international box office yesterday, becoming the second studio to reach this milestone in 2017. It is Universal’s 11th year in a row grossing $1 billion in international box office, and the second fastest to this milestone after 2015.
The F. Gary Gray-directed The Fate of the Furious stars Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Jason Statham, Tyrese Gibson, Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Nathalie Emmanuel, Elsa Pataky, Kurt Russell, Scott Eastwood, Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren.
You can read our The Fate of the Furious review by clicking here. Let us know what you thought by posting your The Fate of the Furious reviews in the comments below! You can view all our previous The Fate of the Furious coverage by clicking here.
The Fate of the Furious Box Office on Track to Hit $534M Globally on Sunday – ComingSoon.net